Catholic Bishop Hits Out at Nigeria’s Failure to Rescue Abducted Schoolchildren

The bishop, who chairs the Niger chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), said the only official action taken so far was compiling the names of missing students.

0
2
Catholic Bishop Hits Out at Nigeria’s Failure to Rescue Abducted Schoolchildren
Cleric accuses government of “no meaningful effort” as Tinubu cancels G20 trip amid crisis

PAPIRI, Niger State — Nigeria’s government is making “no meaningful effort” to rescue more than 250 children abducted from a Catholic boarding school in Niger state last Friday, according to Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, the region’s leading Catholic cleric.

The bishop, who chairs the Niger chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), said the only official action taken so far was compiling the names of missing students. CAN reported that 303 students and 12 staff were abducted, though 50 children escaped and reunited with their families.

Disputed Claims

The state’s police chief, Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, disputed Yohanna’s accusations, insisting that tactical teams were deployed. He accused the school of failing to cooperate with search operations. The BBC, however, reported seeing only three officers at the school and minimal checkpoints along the route.

Governor Umar Bago claimed the school had defied an order to close after threats of attack, but Yohanna denied receiving any directive.

Wider Security Crisis

The abduction was the third in a week, forcing President Bola Tinubu to cancel his trip to the G20 summit in South Africa. Authorities confirmed that 24 girls kidnapped in Kebbi state and 38 worshippers abducted in Kwara state have since been released.

Nigeria continues to battle criminal gangs, Islamist insurgents, and land-related conflicts. The government insists insecurity affects both Christians and Muslims, despite U.S. President Donald Trump’s threats of military intervention over alleged persecution of Christians.

Government Response

Nigeria’s police chief Kayode Egbetokun said operations had been stepped up to ensure the safe release of those still in captivity. Meanwhile, Lagos authorities announced heightened security at schools, places of worship, and key buildings.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here