Nigeria: Number of Children Abducted in School Attack Raised to Over 300

CAN chairman Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, who visited the school on Friday, said the updated figure followed a verification exercise and final census.

0
4
Nigeria: Number of Children Abducted in School Attack Raised to Over 300
Authorities shut down all schools in Niger state after mass kidnapping at Catholic institution

MINNA, Nigeria — The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has confirmed that 303 schoolchildren and 12 teachers were abducted by gunmen during an attack on St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary School in Niger state’s Papiri community, raising the tally from an earlier count of 215.

CAN chairman Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, who visited the school on Friday, said the updated figure followed a verification exercise and final census. He added that 88 other students were captured while trying to escape. The victims, both male and female, ranged in age from 10 to 18.

Recent Wave of Attacks

The Papiri abduction occurred just four days after 25 schoolchildren were seized in Kebbi state’s Maga town, about 170 kilometers away. No group has claimed responsibility, but authorities say tactical squads and local hunters have been deployed to rescue the children.

Disputed Claims

Yohanna dismissed as false a state government claim that the school had reopened, despite an earlier directive for schools in the area to close due to security threats. “It must be an afterthought and a way to shift blame,” he said, urging families to remain calm and prayerful.

Insecurity in Nigeria

School kidnappings have become a defining feature of Nigeria’s insecurity, with armed gangs often targeting schools as strategic sites to draw attention. UNICEF reported last year that only 37% of schools in 10 conflict-hit states have early warning systems to detect threats.

Government Response

Niger State Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago announced Saturday that all schools in the state have been shut down to prevent further kidnappings. “It is the decision of stakeholders today to close all schools in Niger state. All schools are closed till further notice. So we have declared Christmas holiday for all schools in Niger state,” he said after meeting with security officials in Minna.

Wider Context

The kidnappings come amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s claims of targeted killings against Christians in Nigeria — allegations the government rejects. Attacks in the country affect both Christians and Muslims, with the Kebbi state abduction earlier this week occurring in a Muslim-majority town.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here