Motorbike Raids on Nigerian Villages Kill Dozens

Fear Spreads as Attacks Rise Across Northwest Nigeria

0
3
Motorbike Raids on Nigerian Villages Kill Dozens
Bandits Sweep Through Three Communities in Niger State

Dozens of people have been killed in coordinated dawn raids across three villages in Niger State, Nigeria, after armed men on motorcycles stormed communities, shooting residents, burning homes, and abducting an unknown number of people.

What Happened

According to Musa Saidu, head of the State Emergency Management Agency, the attacks struck Tunga‑Makeri, Konkoso, and Pissa early Saturday morning.

  • Police confirmed six deaths in Tunga‑Makeri.
  • At least 20 more were killed in Konkoso and Pissa.
  • Officials say the toll has already reached 29, but could rise as more bodies are found.

A security report cited by AFP said the attackers arrived on 41 motorcycles, each carrying two or three armed men.

Communities in Fear

Many residents fled into the bush or nearby towns, leaving the number of abducted people unclear. “People are afraid because you can’t tell which community is going to be next,” Saidu said.

A resident of Agwara, Abdullahi Rofia, told the BBC that displaced families have flooded into his community: “People are so traumatised… they no longer go to farm or market. The bandits are not interested in stealing — they are interested in killing and terrorising locals.”

A Region Under Siege

The attacks occurred near the site of a suspected jihadist massacre earlier this month that killed more than 100 people. North‑western Nigeria has seen a surge in violence from:

  • Armed bandit groups
  • Jihadist factions expanding from the Sahel
  • Criminal networks involved in mass kidnappings

Authorities have imposed emergency measures, including a partial curfew and a ban on motorcycle taxis after 20:00.

National and International Response

Nigeria’s leaders face mounting pressure to curb insecurity. The U.S. recently launched Christmas Day airstrikes targeting Islamist militants in Sokoto State. President Donald Trump has warned of further action, though Nigerian officials stress that victims of jihadist violence include both Christians and Muslims.

Meanwhile, Nigerian forces say they killed 200 suspected bandits in Kogi State last month, shortly after more than 250 schoolchildren and staff were abducted in Papiri, according to the BBC — one of the country’s largest recent kidnappings.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here